Prawns are generally found in the ocean. Generally they live up to deep of 50 meters and generally detected in rocky substrate, or under the rocks or rock divisions.Prawns are not only very delicious to eat but are very healthy to eat too.They are rich in very rich in proteins yet very low on fats and calories.It makes them an ideal food for those which need to lose weight. Despite Prawns are high in Cholesterol but they are high in good cholesterol and bring down the bad cholesterol. A potty size prawn contains about 2 grams of Fat, 30 grams of proteins and about 125 mg of minerals.If you eat prawn will get number benefits like skin and health.
1 large onion,1 large tomato,1 ½ tbsp. fresh or frozen coconut or cashew nuts,2 pinches of turmeric,½ to ¾ tsp. red chili powder,½ tsp. coriander powder,½ tsp. garam masala,1 tsp. ginger garlic paste or grated,250 grams prawns,1 ¼ cup water (adjust, you may need more or less),1 sprig curry leaves,1 garlic clove,¼ tsp. cumin,Chopped coriander leaves for garnish,1 ½ tbsp. oil.
How To Make Prawn gravy
1. Fry onions in hot oil till they turn pink, fry ginger garlic paste till the raw smell goes away.
2. Add chopped tomatoes, sprinkle salt and turmeric. Fry till the mixture turns mushy.
3. Add garam masala, coriander powder, red chili powder and grated coconut. I used frozen coconut. you can also replace coconut with cashews nuts.
4. Fry on a medium heat till the mixture is nicely roasted, for about 3 to 5 minutes. Take care not to burn. To give a restaurant gravy taste and texture, we need to cool this and blend. You can also continue to cook the curry without blending.
5. When it cools down blend with ¾ cup water to smooth. And add ice cold water to the blender and then the hot mix and blend to cut down the cooling time. Set this aside.
6. Heat the same pan, add oil, cumin and garlic, wait till the garlic is lightly roasted, add curry leaves, fry till crispy.
7. Time to add the prawns and fry till they turn pink, for about 2 minutes, for the raw smell to go away.I set aside the garlic to prevent burning while i take the pictures.
8. Add the onion tomato mixture and more water as needed. Cook until the prawns are cooked, they swirl up when done fully. Overcooking will make them hard. Switch off the stove. Sprinkle chopped coriander leaves.
Serve with fragrant rice or roti, naan or chapathi. Jeera rice was a good choice to enjoy this prawn curry.