The hair can be considered as oily if it has a greasy appearance from 1st to 2nd day after shampooing. The secretion of sebum by the sebaceous glands of the scalp causes the oiliness. The secretion of sebum is controlled by androgen which are present in small quantities in women. Secretion of sebum starts at the puberty stage and the hair will be greasier in women during menstruation. The oiliness of the hair makes it appear as stringy and dirty even though you wash your hair regularly. Oil on the scalp is necessary to keep the scalp healthy and to prevent damage to hair such as split ends and provide a good sheen. Oily hair can cause dandruff and itching.
Causes Of Oily Hair
Several factors are responsible for the excess secretions of oil from the sebaceous glands.
• Hormonal fluctuation in women due to menstrual cycle, use of birth control pills, etc.
• Excessive consumption of oil rich food
• Poorly adapted hair care
Symptoms Of Oily Hair
The common symptoms of oily hair include
• Excess sebum production which makes the hair heavy, weak and difficult to manage.
• Formation of greasy dandruff which sticks to the sebum forming a layer on the scalp.
• Itchiness of the scalp
• Hair loss or progressive thinning of hair
So, it is necessary to avoid the proliferation of sebum into scalp to prevent the damages to the hair and scalp due to the growth of bacteria and fungi. The excessive sebum blocks the hair follicle and disturbs the blood circulation, resulting in weak hair.
The following are the home remedies that you can try out to get effective results for oily hair.
If you are having oily hair, then the best way to get rid of excess oil in your hair is to shampoo your hair everyday. This will help to keep your hair free from oil and make it clean and look beautiful.
• It is ideal for you to rinse your hair thoroughly every time you shampoo so that no residue is left behind or else your hair can easily attract more oil and dirt.
• Go for shampoos that are specifically designed for oily hair. Normal hair needs a shampoo that will have a pH between 4.5 and 6.7. But, oily hair would need a shampoo that is beyond this pH range.
2.Aloe Vera Gel
One of the best home remedies to treat oily hair is the use of aloe vera gel. You can mix the aloe vera gel with any shampoo to get rid of oily hair.
• In a cup of mild shampoo mix a tablespoon of lemon juice as well as one teaspoon of aloe vera gel that you have taken out from a fresh aloe vera.
• Mix this well and apply the required amount on your oily hair, leave it to react on your hair for a few minutes and then rinse it off completely.
• You can store the remaining home made shampoo in your fridge for about a week and use it every day.
Egg yolk is found to be a good product that you can use on your hair as it helps to condition your hair and to remove excess oils. It is an age old home remedy to treat excess oil in the hair.
• Take 2 egg yolks and beat it well. In this egg yolk mixture add a few drops of lemon juice and mix well once again.
• Now apply this mixture on your wet hair and leave it there for 10 minutes.
• Rinse it off thoroughly so that no residue is left behind.
• Use this egg yolk mixture on your hair two to three times a week to get rid of oily hair.
4. Henna And Olive Oil
• Add 3 teaspoons of henna powder in a bowl and mix it with one egg.
• To this mixture add 2 tablespoons of honey and a tablespoon of olive oil. Mix all ingredients well.
• Add warm water to make a smooth paste.
• Apply the paste on your oily hair from the root to the tip evenly.
• Cover your coated hair with a plastic bag and towel and leave it for two hours.
• Wash your hair thoroughly and then use a mild shampoo to clean your hair.
Honey is also found to be an effective home remedy to treat oily hair.
• Take two teaspoons of pure honey and to this add one egg yolk.
• Mix it well and allow it to dissolve for 20 minutes.
• Now apply this mixture on your hair properly and massage your hair for a few minutes.
• Leave this mixture on your hair and scalp for 15 minutes.
• Rinse it properly and then use a deep shampoo to wash your hair.
• Repeat this process twice a week to get rid of oily hair.